Monday, August 11, 2014

Help and Encouragement from the Scriptures

Howdy everyone!

So, this week has been super slow. We've been making up for the lack of teaching appointments with trying to find a lot of people that we've had on our notes for a while, as well as contacting the people that have been given to us from various ward members. This week will probably be very similar. We (on behalf of myself and my companion) ask for prayers for us, and for the Alpine area. We know that there is work to do, and people we need to find, but whether a member of our church or not, please pray for us, that we'll find those people we need to serve and help.

Well, aside from the previous paragraph, I've learned a lot of different things as we work on getting to know more and more people, and working on building trust between us, the full-time missionaries, and the leaders and people around us. It's definitely a slow process, but one that I know we can accomplish as we show everyone our desire to work and to push the work forward.

One really neat thing I saw this week wasn't necessarily a huge thing for anyone else, but it was incredibly important to me. Last week was rough. It was hard for me. This week, I had some different solutions of how I wanted to make this week better than last week. This week, I've been making more of a push to take more from the scriptures as I study every morning. I've been trying to see how what I learn can help someone throughout the day. Silly me, I didn't realize at first that I needed to be in the scriptures not because it could help someone else, but that it could help and encourage me. There were so many things I needed to read, that I needed to remember, that I needed to understand. I'm grateful for the miracle and blessing of having the sacred scriptures available to me and available for me to learn from and see miracles in.

For everyone, not just those who are LDS, who reads this: I challenge each and every one of you to go to the scriptures. Open to the beginning, and just start reading. Think about what the prophets were saying, so many years ago. Think about how it applies to you now.

Write those thoughts down. Keep them in a place where you can see those thoughts often. Then, go back to the scriptures every day, looking for more things, looking for more inspiration. I know, and I testify, as a representative of Jesus Christ, one that has been called by His prophet on the earth today, President Thomas S. Monson, that the scriptures, both the Book of Mormon and the Bible were given to us to help us. I testify that Heavenly Father loves every single one of His children, you and me, and that He sent Jesus Christ, our older brother, who was willing to do what the Father asked of him, to atone and die for each of our sins, so that it could be possible, as we each live the commandments that we've been given and as we partake of the ordinances, to return to the presence of the Father, and that as we learn and grow, we could someday be just as He is. I'm grateful for this knowledge that I have. I know that it is possible for each of us to become gods and goddesses, because Heavenly Father wants us to be as He is! He wants us to grow! He wants us to learn! Just as my dad would like me to become as he is, I know my Heavenly Father wants each of us to be as He is. I know that the Bible is true. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I've read it, and I've prayed about it, honestly searching and looking for that knowledge of its truthfulness for myself. It's not just because my parents taught me it was true. I know for myself that it is true. I'm grateful for a 14 year old boy named Joseph Smith who had a question. I'm grateful that Heavenly Father came through on His promise made to each of us in the book of James, chapter 1, verse 5. I know that we can try that promise for ourselves. Heavenly Father didn't just limit it to a few select people, He gave that opportunity to each of us, to ask for and receive answers. I know this this true, and I say these things in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.

If any have questions about what I've said, please, feel free to message me via Facebook, or to write me a letter or email. You can find the addresses for my letters and emails on the blog. Thank you!

I hope each of you take my challenge to heart. Try it, I dare you. :)

I love y'all!
Elder Conrad Hamilton



Keep Smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment